Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Samsung Works on "Digital Jot" Idea?

These days Eric Fossum is consulting Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology, Nanodevices Laboratory, as in Eric's CV. Eric writes about his current work in dpreview forum:

Roland Karlsson:

"In a future sensor(when it is a pure photon counter- and that will
happen - mark my words) - then higher density will always mean higher
image quality. All photons are collected - and the better you know
the position - the better the image quality."


Eric Fossum:

"I don't see how anyone could possibly argue with this. If you can count every photon that hits the sensor and record its position (and wavelength!) it would be hard to imagine a better sample of the photon field.

Anyway, I am working on this sort of thing. I think the real question is what do you do to post process your picture. One approach is a "digital film sensor" as I have mentioned in past posts. See slides 68-89 more or less of the presentation on my website if you are interested:

Image Sensors Past Present and Future Presentation

[snip]

As far as where we stand, I should not say as I work as a consultant for Company X these days and it will be up to Company X to say when and where any news is released. On the other hand, it is a multi year research project and not part of any product development plan. I certainly am grateful for the support and long range vision of Company X and I hope this turns into a useful technology for them."

If Eric means Samsung, I certaily agree that it has a long range vision and resources to implement it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated to avoid spam and personal attacks.